Friday, June 17, 2011

Winter in Narrandera


















It's Winter

It's winter and I can enjoy the fresh smell of sheets that come in off the line.

It's winter and I can go for long walks on naked ground in my runners.

It's winter and we sit out at the footy field on the weekends and watch our sons play in shorts and tanks.

It's winter and fresh leaves are appearing on the tree in the front yard - even though it dropped all its leaves just a few weeks ago.

It's winter and the neighbour's orange tree is calling me to taste it's bright sweet fruit.

It's winter and the lavender bushes are brimming in a sea of purple hues.

It's winter and the boys ride and do tricks on the tabletop or grind the rails.

It's winter and we sit outside and the sun warms us as we sip our coffee.

It's winter and I don't see my breath in the air, I don't have to warm the car up or scrape the windows or brace myself as I walk across the yard.

It's winter and I feel alive and free as I enjoy the outdoors without frostbite.

It's winter and the world around is alive with birds chirping, the sounds of children playing and the feeling of the fresh breeze though our uncovered hair.
I smile and savour this reprieve from Canadian winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment