Saturday, November 5, 2011

The Home Stretch... 51 Days and Counting!

















It's that time of year, the end of school.

As always, the end of the school year is a very busy time. Teachers are busy trying to squeeze in those last golden nuggets of curriculum while also assessing and evaluating how much their students learned this year. There are also all of those end of year special events that require planning and executing. When you pile onto that, your home duties and responsibilities, things can seem overwhelming at times and the stress metre for this time of year can be at the maximum in a normal situation.

For me, it is doubly so this year. For the first time, I am dealing with the end of year events without my own "home security system". Usually, at this time of year, I can call on family to take the kids for a sleepover or just for a few hours so I can work on reports or stay at school for other events that I need to attend. Here, as you can imagine, things are a little different.

I am deeply grateful to the friends we have made here and their support, but really it all still comes down to me. When things go wrong, when the unexpected happens, when there is drama, I am IT. I have to problem solve and deal with things as they happen to the best of my ability. Sometimes, when I am feeling strong, I call it character building and think that I am better for it. Other times, I just want to click my heels 3 times and say, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home, there's no place like home ..."

So, here I sit on Sunday morning pondering the tidal wave of items to check off of my "To Do List"...

Yesterday was the Spring Fair at our school and I can "tick" that one off of my list. It was a terrific event that raises A LOT of money for the school. In fact, it is the key fundraiser for St. Joseph's. I worked the "Flea Market Stall" which is basically, a Yard Sale. While I did that, Jacob and Jack visited the different games, event and food stalls and had a great time. The Fair runs from 10am until 3pm and is very well attended and supported - even in 33 degree weather. It's a great social and community building event. Ask me about it when I get home as I think it has potential.

Today, I hope to plow through the mountain of marking and recording I have so that I can begin my 30 reports - at least for a while. The first report draft is due on November 14. It is going to be a HOT one today (34) so we may have to go to the Narrandera Pool for a while. Sam must also start preparing for his final exams which start on November 14.

This week, our staff is doing the second of 3 Professional Development evenings. In New South Wales, the teachers have the option of "working off" their last 2 school days, which are PD Days. You do this by participating in approved Professional Development on a weekend or evenings after school. By "working these days off" , school will finish for us on Friday, December 16 rather than Tuesday, December 20. This means keeping my boys occupied during these evenings. The first one we did was a Spirituality Evening that focussed on Prayer. It was kind of like a mini retreat but was very beneficial on a personal as well as professional level. This week's is about I.T. It should be interesting.

We also have the "End of Year Concert" (notice it is not called Christmas Concert) on December 8 (4 short weeks away!). I have decided to make it "easy" on myself, so my class will be performing "Christmas Star" - a song my class performed at my last PJPII concert. I love it, the kids love it (we have started practicing each day) and it has all the elements of a good performance - catholicity, actions, singing, costume AND a surprise at the end: MRS. MCKAY where are you when I need you??? The concert will be in the NOT air conditioned hall in 30+ degree temperatures so that will be something different. Hmmm... we may have to make costume adjustments.

We continue to have our twice weekly staff meetings at 8:20 Tuesday mornings and 3:30 until 5pm on Wednesday afternoons. The morning meeting is a "Nuts and Bolts" type meeting while the afternoon meetings are PD Related. The focus for us right now is Comprehension Strategies.

Then there are all the normal life happenings: basketball, cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, yard/pool maintenance, settling arguments, negotiating with a teenager (did I say "Negotiating?").

For me, these are the "known entities" but each week there are the unknowns that pop up and I have to swerve and bob and make adjustments all around. Those are the times where I feel my head is going to pop off and probably enter the Earth's orbit.

The unknowns for me at this point are things like, is Dan going to make it back before we have to pack up and move? Then, the actual packing, cleaning and getting to Sydney and then to Canada. Lastly, it is saying goodbye to the many wonderful friends and students that we have come to love. That makes me well up with emotion when I think about it. As READY and excited as I am to return home to all of you - it will be a difficult goodbye to this community that has welcomed us and supported us, particularly since Dan returned home to work.


So, while working on reports, I may be remiss in posting here but I know that you, dear reader, will understand. Well, I'm off to begin ... see you very soon - I hope!


P.S. Congratulations to all of you! We have had nearly 8000 visits to our blog this year so far and from many places all over the world! How crazy would that be to hit 10,000? WOW! To see how many hits we have had, scroll to the bottom of the page. You will see a total there and you can track it as it counts to 10,000.

4 comments:

  1. I have truly enjoyed reading your blog updates over the last almost year! Rayden used to read them with me but has lost a little interest. I love to hear about the cultural differences. I found it truly amazing to think that for your students this year it was a first for carving a pumpkin!! It truly is the small things we take for granted, and often even dislike, that create the Canada we know and love. I couldn't imagine no halloween, even though I struggle each year with whether I should let my children go because of its origin. Then i remind myself of St Patrick and how he brought halloween to christianty. Even thanksgiving is something we celebrate but many countries dont. All these little things we look forward to each year but are also slightly annoyed by becuase of the travel and the cost have definatly been put into perspective thanks to your blog :D LOL I can't help but laugh at your contempt for the chocolate chips, or lack of, in Australia! I can't imagine chocolate tasting badly and I think you need to go into some extra depth to explain why you get sooo excited for Canadian chocolate chips! Good luck getting all the business of the season dealt with. My prayers are definatly with you and your family during the coming months as its going to be an emotional rollercoaster both leaving Australia and when you arrive home. Add Christmas shopping and shipping and packing and stuff and I dont think you could pay me to trade places! God is with you and has been on this once in a lifetime journey. When overwhelmed remember to just hand it to the Lord. Allow His light and His peace into you during the tough times. God is Good! :D Can't wait to see you back on Canadian soil, but we will miss the O'Mahoney family and their joy for things like halloween! Bella was so excited about halloween that both my kids came home talking and perplexed about why she would care so much! Once again, its the little things. God bless you and your travels over the next few months. Sincerely, Marisa Slusarcyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marisa!
    Thanks for leaving a comment. I'm glad you've been following us over the past year and thanks for your prayers - we need them - especially with all the hustle and bustle of saying goodbye and returning home. We are getting very excited to come back and your post got me thinking about the "Cardinal Ones" and how much they must have grown since I left. I can't wait to pop in to see them in January! I hope Rayden is still the enthusiastic and eager learner I remember. My boys are definitely excited to get back to the snow (although I am not ... but take the good with the freezing right?) Keep checking back for our latest updates. I'm nearly finished with reports (It think/hope) and will have some catching up to do soon. :) Take care and thanks again for posting. It makes my day! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL well we dont have much snow yet, barely a skiffing so i think its waiting on you :P Plus if you look at the good things about snow there are no bugs and no crocodiles lurking around either! You can warm your home with fresh baked chocolate chip cookies that you didnt have to have imported and wait months for. It's also easier to warm up then it is to cool off. Lots of pluses to our winters IMO. The kids also dont come in muddy, just a little damp. I think the only real bad thing to our winters is the car... needing to scrape it and run it and plug it in and then worry about sliding off the roads or getting stuck, but thats part of being Canadian and gives a good reason to drink Hot Chocolate and make a stop at Timmies :D LOL you know you want to go to the drive thru at timmies and order a nice steaming cup of coffee, AND then to brighter your winter even more Roll up the Rim to Win will start in a few short months... haha i am really trying to show you that winter is good!
    Rayden is still an overly eager little learner and he likes to read novels and stuff and finds the normal grade 2 books a little boring, but he reads them every night as his homework because he has to. I worry that if they dont sent him books that he is more enthusiastic about that he will begin to loathe reading, but for now it seems to be going ok. He got his very own Diary of a Wimpy Kid book the other day and is quite pleased with how thick it is :D Those Wimpy Kid books are great because it has the novel factor but also the "sit down and write your own thoughts in me" factor as well. Rayden and Lila both ordered ones that were on pre-order and he recieved his and she hasnt yet so he is being a very good brother and driving her nuts! Gotta love the brother sister relationship! I am pretty sure we say "would you just let him/her see it for a second" more than we say anything else! Since they are only 23 months apart and Rayden has always been advanced we have always needed two of everything or World War 3 breaks out. Despite gentle and not so gentle prodding on this sharing thing they still won't share with each other! They won't even be in the same picture! My Rayden was always advanced though in everything he did and i think that frusterates Lila because she is average, I wouldnt tell them that though so Shhhhh! He pulled to standing at about 2 months old in his bassinet! He crawled at 5 months, walked at 8 was able to basic math before he was 18 months old and i don't remember a time when he couldnt read small words. I have just come to the conclusion that he just "knows". I was watching a video of his third birthday and he had got a truck for a twelve year old that breaks on impact and somemone thought it was broken and he was explaining that it was suppose to break that it says so on the package and he was putting it together all on his own... was cute to see his chubby cheeks and little voice sounding so old! Anyway, I guess thats enough reminiscing for now (grr i cant spell today). Will talk to you soon.
    Marisa
    PS you can email if you want to at marisaslusarcyk@hotmail.com
    My prayers are with you now and always!
    Also, if you get a chance please check out my blog http://praiseforcreation.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. scratch that... rayden is finished his Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Lila just got hers, lol

    ReplyDelete