Friday, December 30, 2011

The Last Weeks

As is customary in schools, those last weeks are "chock-a-block" full of events and the final nuggets of learning for the year. You can't help but look with pride at how your students have grown and changed over the year and you want them to recognize their achievements as well. For me, it was also an emotional time as I knew we were leaving and that the time to say goodbye was racing toward me. I truly enjoyed my students in Year 3 and found myself wishing for more time with them. They have been so eager to learn and to explore. They made learning fun for me as well not just by their enthusiasm, but also by asking great questions and working really hard. Knowing that I would be starting a new non-teaching position upon my return to Canada, leaving the Year 3 class had extra meaning.

The last 2 weeks of school had several events on the agenda: Water Fun Day, The End of Year Concert, Assemblies, Mass, Prayer Services, my classes "Eating Christmas Around the World", Secret Santa, Staff Function and much more!

Preparations

I was also busy preparing for our departure by organizing and packing and washing and cleaning cupboards, appliances and walls. We still didn't know if Dan would be coming back and so I was running travel scenarios in my mind constantly. How to pack EVERYTHING in, how to get to Sydney, how to ensure that we have a fun Christmas - even without Dan, how to get to the airport and get the car delivered, how to ensure we and our luggage make it to Winnipeg etc, etc, etc... Luckily, our friends and surrogate family in Narrandera were so supportive. I was overwhelmed by the kind offers and generosity of those around us. The St. Joseph's teachers, T.A.'s and Parents were amazing and so were our friends the Smith's, O'Brien's, Craze's, Hopwood's and Orme's. IF I had to go it alone, I could be sure that at least I would make it out of Narrandera :)


The following posts will highlight some of the events that occured in the last weeks of our time in Narrandera.

No comments:

Post a Comment