Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Big Banana and Byron Bay







'Nuf said right? It's big, it's yellow and it is a banana - it's not Huskie the Muskie but it was worth a look. The peanut and chocolate covered banana's made for a yummy treat and it was a good chance to stretch our legs.

Our first nightime stop was Byron Bay. We arrived at dusk (it's winter so the sun is down about 5:45). We had just enough time to set up "camp" and to catch the sunset on the beautiful beach that was 50 feet from our site. There were loads of people who were also camping and taking in the sunset. Sam and Jake walked to the main street to get a new footy (Sam's somehow broke on the trip - DISASTER) so they could kick it on the beach.

Dan cooked up a beef curry dinner - yummy - the kids politely ate their share but declined seconds.

The Australian caravan parks have these great Camper's kitchens which are great for cooking a large meal (the camper has a propane stove in it) and with nice sinks for clean up after. It takes away the frustration you would feel if you were trying to cook and clean in a closet with 4 other people.

After dinner we were exhausted so we played a few hands of crazy eights before crawling into our sleeping bags. As tired as I felt, I was still bug eyed long after I could hear Dan's heavy breathing beside me. I was listening for Sam and Jake and I was convinced that Jack was going to roll out of the bunk above us and come crashing down - but not before splitting his skull on the camp stove. When I finally did drop off, I kept waking at every sound.

Dan and I were up at the crack of dawn - he was well rested (thank goodness as he was the driver - I could not drive a standard left handed - heck, I can barely drive one right handed anymore) and I felt like I needed a strong frothed coffee and a hot shower. All the boys slept like babies and Jack did not fall out of the bunk.




THE BEAUTIFUL SUNSET AT BYRON BAY'S BEACH


JAKE AND JACK RELAXING IN THE CAMPER BEFORE A MEAN GAME OF "GO FISH"


Observations from the first night:




1) I am shocked at how close together the sites are!




2) Somehow I manage to sleep although Sam and Jake are "out there" in the tent.




3) The camper's kitchen is really cool - there are stainless grills to cook on, sinks for washing up and TV - although it is a covered area, it is still technically outdoors




4) Aussie washroom/shower buildings are not heated and it is C-O-L-D when you are wet and naked!




5) It's fun to play cards in close quarters with your 4 favourite men!

No comments:

Post a Comment