Sunday, July 10, 2011

Travelling Queensland on the “Royal” Bush Tour Part 1


OUR HOTEL ON WHEELS



Anyone who knows me, knows I don’t “do” camping. This is one area that Dan and I differ. He likes nothing more than to drive for 2 hours out of town down a “road” into the bush, then hop into the canoe and paddle for hours, days, portage after portage and then sleep under the stars on an island in the middle of a lesser known lake - alone with just the loons and the stars for company. Me? NOT! I like the comfort of a cozy queen or king bed, full bath steps away, climate control and everything from food to entertainment at my fingertips. We weren’t sure what we were going to do on these school holidays (the mid point of our Adventure) as budget is always a concern in Australia and especially when you are travelling with 3 kids. We had done the Great Ocean Road drive and learned that 3 kids in the back of a sedan is NOT the way to enjoy the open road and keep your sanity. So, when Dan floated the idea of a trip to Queensland, I was ecstatic. I originally thought we would do a series of daytrips within our region and not take on anything too extravagant this time around. As I was wondering if he’s got a cheap flight and resort deal, he excitedly showed me on his computer what he had found: Camperman rentals. A van that doubles as a camper - GULP.


As badly as I wanted to see Queensland, I wasn’t sure about staying in campgrounds (Caravan Parks in Aus.) along the way but I really wanted to see Queensland so the van was booked and Dan set about plotting our journey while I finished up report cards and interviews and the end of term school stuff. Dan planned for us to take the train to Sydney where we would pick up the Campervan and then head off so we had to pack light. Now to me, packing light means a suitcase, a cosmetics case, a laptop bag and a purse. Anyone who helped me pack for Australia knows that fitting a year’s worth of belongings into a 50lb suitcase was a difficult task (I cheated and added weight to everyone else’s suitcases for my own stuff.) In my defence I needed a work AND casual wardrobe - the boys were wearing uniforms and Dan is a light packer so there was plenty of extra space. This time, I had one backpack - PERIOD. It was such a daunting task, I couldn’t even put my head around it. I procrastinated for a couple of days before finally getting it done because of the limited number of hours until “go time”. Now, camping or not, a girl must have the necessities. I ironed and then roll packed 3 pairs of shorts, 4 shirts, socks, undies, a bathing suit, hat, flip flops, one hoodie and one pair of yoga pants. Pretty good right? Then, I jammed in my hair dryer ( I did NOT take my straightener), cosmetics etc… AND my frother. I know what you are thinking but I was not going to have “campfire coffee”, no way, I like my milky froth and because it is battery powered and small, it could be squeezed in.





ME AND MY HAIR DRYER AND FROTHER AND OTHER NECESSITIES.




Now, Dan and I differed on one key point here - we are camping IN PUBLIC which is not camping on an island Stuart Lake where there is not a soul around. He mocked the fact that I ironed my camp wear but when you are with a hundred or so other campers, there is a standard. The deal we made was that if I woke up to pee in the middle of the night, he would HAVE to




accompany me.


JACK WAITS PATIENTLY.






Our trip began with a 7 ½ hour train ride from Narrandera to Sydney which was thoroughly enjoyable. It was lovely to sit, play games and just enjoy the ride to downtown Sydney. The scenery was lovely and we saw a sizable mob of about 30 kangaroos along the way. We were dropped off at Central Sydney Station where we stayed the night next door at a YHA Hostel - this was Dan’s way of breaking me in slowly. He actually lovingly was going to book me into a hotel for the night and he and the boys into the hostel but I felt way too guilty and wimpy and insisted on being included in the Hostel. I must admit, the hostel was really nice. In my imagination I pictured a boozy, smokey, bunk bed filled dorm where we would not get a wink because of the all night backpacker parties. I must say that I wish I was 21 and travelling across the world in the accommodations these hostels provide. We had a family room which has a double plus 3 beds and was super quiet. We shared the bathroom and shower facilities as well as a kitchen where you do your own dishes. The price was right, it was very secure and the people were really friendly. A hostel is something that I would definitely do again. The next morning, we subway and taxied it to pick up what would be our home away from home for the next week!




SYDNEY TRAIN STATION AND THE HOSTEL




SYDNEY HARBOUR BRIDGE AT NIGHT




SYDNEY OPERA HOUSE AT NIGHT.






LIFE IN THE CAMPER.






DEALING FOR A MEAN FAMILY GAME OF CRAZY EIGHTS


MOVIES IN THE BUNK

No comments:

Post a Comment